As a business owner, whether you own a small convenient store or an upscale clothing store, you have witnessed the agony of theft, from both shoppers and employees; in fact, every single day, over $25 million worth of merchandise is stolen from retailers!
Some of the best techniques to prevent shoplifters are as follows:
- Be attentive, and greet each customer who walks into your store; shoplifters are known to avoid stores where their employees are attentive.
- Customers who avoid eye contact or seem nervous should be approached right away; ask if they need help with anything, being attentive can help deter potential thieves.
- Have employees walk throughout the store, asking customers if they need help finding anything.
- Keep your big ticketed products in a visible area.
- Maintain a clean and organized store; that includes keeping aisles cleared, shelves clean and dressing rooms organized; shoplifters usually target messy stores, because a messy store signifies a lack of concern on the behalf of the employees.
- Keep the shelves well lit and short so that all customers are visible throughout the store.
- Make sure you have a full staff for each shift so that each customer gets individual attention. The more employees you have on the floor the more you are able to cover and secure.
- Ask your neighbors about any sketch behavior they have encountered in the past few months; you can work together in nipping shoplifters.
These strategies may or may not work; it’s up to you to make that extra effort to protect your merchandise. However, installing security cameras can help cut down on theft.
Here at Secure Lock and Alarm, we install security cameras for local stores in Massachusetts; our security cameras are known to be effective in cracking down on shoplifters. We will help you find the perfect angle(s) that will give you a look at the entire store.
These surveillance cameras can help prevent shoplifters and employee theft, and can help you monitor productivity. These cameras will help you protect what you worked so hard to start; your business.
We have a variety of cameras, and we will be more than happy to go through the features of each and every one of them, until we find a system that fits your security needs!
For a free estimate, or for more information on our security cameras, please give Secure Lock and Alarm a call at 978-927-6400. It’s time to take back control of your store and its merchandise by cracking down on shoplifting and employee theft!