You can never be too careful when it comes to the safety and security of your home and loved ones; below you will find some security tips that will help keep your home and the people you love safe:
- Have the locks and keys of your home updated every few years; old locks can easily be tampered with.
- Installing Security Cameras. Even just the site of a security camera can entice potential burglars to move onto a different house.
- Be sure to clean you smoke and carbon monoxide detectors; dust and dirt can hinder sensors!!
- When purchasing or remodeling your home, make sure you select a fire resistant roofing material and be sure to change the locks!
- How secure is your mailbox? You should have a locked mailbox installed in your home, just to keep your mail from being tampered with; you should also never leave outgoing mail in your mailbox, especially if it has personal information, like account numbers and social security numbers.
- If you’re going on vacation, and leaving your home unattended, you should lower the volume your home phone’s ringer so you don’t tip off burglars!
- Never leave notes on your door to service or repairmen, notifying them that the door is unlocked; this is a huge tip off to burglars!
- Do no use indoor extension cords outside, it is a fire hazard! Extension cords will usually indicate out/inside usage!
- If your power ever goes out, place all food in the freezer; a full freezer can keep food fresh for up to 48 hours.
- You should have an interconnected smoke alarm system; when one smoke alarm goes off, they all do. This will help notify everyone in the house, it is especially useful during sleeping hours.
- Do not recharge non-rechargeable batteries; if you attempt to do this, the battery could explode.
- Do not leave oily rags hanging around, as they can combust even if they aren’t near fire; hang them up to dry and once dried, throw them away in a metal trash can with a lid.
For more information on how to keep your home safe from burglars, fires and other life threatening circumstances, please give Secure Lock and Alarm a call at 978-927-6400.