According to the Tewksbury Fire Department, the most common types of fires during the holidays come from cooking fires and electrical fires. Over use of outlets, bad extension cords and Christmas lights can be a fire hazard if safety precautions are not taken. The first step is making sure all your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms work.  Do not assume that they are working. Always test them to make sure.

Cooking fires are usually caused by spillage from cooking pans, especially in the oven. Keeping the oven door closed and turning off the heat will usually self-extinguish the flames.

Live Christmas Trees are a big fire hazard. I’m sure you’ve seen videos on YouTube of Christmas trees catching fire. Dry trees can go up in flames in a matter of seconds so it is very important to keep open flames away. Trees should not sit too close to space heaters as well.  Keep your tree watered and dispose of it away from the house or garage.

Electrical Sockets get heavy use during the holidays. Do not overload outlets and be sure to use UL listed power strips.

Candles should never be left unattended, especially if you have pets. Keep them away from drapery, paper decorations, or anything that can ignite. Be sure to place them on a firm surface and at least 3 feet away from combustible materials.

Fireplaces should be inspected and cleaned before each winter.

Secure Lock & Alarm specializes in installing fire alarms for homes and businesses.  For more information, please contact us at 978-927-6400